Fw: help with net-interface

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 03:27:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, at 09:53 blux.net at lineone.net wrote:
>> On Thursday 19 June 2008 09:28:44 Wilco Beekhuizen wrote:
>> > Is it not called eth1 instead of eth0?
>> > Please post the output of:
>> > $ dmesg | grep eth
>> > $ dmesg | grep real -i
>>

>> $ dmesg | grep eth   gives:-
>>
>> Parsing all Control Methods:
>> Table [DSDT](id 0001) - 493 Objects with 48 Devices 143 Methods 22
>> Regions
>> Initializing Device/Processor/Thermal objects by executing _INI
>> methods:.
>> Executed 1 _INI methods requiring 1 _STA executions (examined 51
>> objects)
>> forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.60.
>> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xe080c000, 00:20:ed:69:32:99, IRQ 16
>> eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
>> net eth1: device_rename: sysfs_create_symlink failed (-17)
>>

>> $ dmesg | grep real -i gives:-
>>
>> Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
>> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xe080c000, 00:20:ed:69:32:99, IRQ 16

> it appears that ifconfig is not installed.
> An ls of /usr/bin/ifconfig yields  "no such file or directory"
>
> does anyone knows which of the lfs package   installs  the ifconfig
> utility?

It comes with net-tools; you can have a look in Blfs, particularly
in "Basic Networking Programs" chapter.
However, Lfs uses iproute to assist users to configuring network devises,
unless of course you are more familiar with ifconfig, I know some they
prefer it.

Also as a remark, it seems that there are two network cards.
Try to load just one of them, as this probably confuses udev -- not
sure about that, but udev confuse us with its inflexibility all these
years -- the forcedeth driver it works good enough also.

And a last thing.
Please try to avoid top posting (I've fixed it up for you) and not to break
threading by opening new threads in every of your answers.

It helps the readers of this list to help you solve your problem.

Regards,

Ag.
--
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/Hacking