LFS 6.3 - Chapter 8.4 - Cannot install grub

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:33:53 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Rafael Lopez <rafa2005ar at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/19, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Are you bind mounting the /dev partition when you enter the chroot? If
>> you can't see /dev/hd* from within the chroot, then neither can grub
>> and it can't determine your partition layout. Grub keeps your list of
>> partitions in the file /boot/grub/device.map.
>>
>> To just have grub write the device.map file, run the command "echo
>> quit | grub --batch".
>
> Hi you there. Thank you for your support !!
>
> I´m not sure what exactly is unsderstood by "bind mounting" (yes, I'm
> such a newby....).
> But I can explain what I do when going to work on my LFS project at
> presente stage of building.
> What I do is to follow a procedure taken from the hint "How to resume
> your work after a break at different LFS stages" at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/stages-stop-and-resume.txt
> in paragraph "From section 6.62. Cleaning Up to The End" to resume the
> building environment:

That hint is a little old and not quite accurate anymore. Ch. 6.60
describes what you would do to reenter the chroot after you've built
all the packages. It contains links back to the sections describing
devices and kernel file systems.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.3/chapter06/revisedchroot.html

If you follow those instructions, you will have a "bind" mounted /dev
in the chroot that just mirrors your /dev filesystem outside the
chroot. Then you'll have all your devices available and grub should
work.

--
Dan