LFS 6.3 - Chapter 8.4 - Cannot install grub

D.Dreschers garfield0 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 18 23:26:50 PDT 2008

Rafael Lopez wrote:
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
>
> Actually, as long as I'm still within chroot, I cannot understand how
> to "see" a disk and its partitions and/or how is grub going to "see"
> the same.
> Just in case you wonder about it, my box has only one hard disk with
> three partitions: / is mounted on hda1 (hd0,0), swap on hda2 (hd0,1)
> and /home on hda3 (hd0,2) (yes, of course, as seen from outside
> chroot, which is LFS LiveCD).

Within chroot, LFS finds your harddrives by looking into the /dev
directory which should be mounted before you enter the chroot
environment (See chapter 6.2).
Can you see your harddrives (hda1, hda2, hda3) inside the /dev directory
when you are inside chroot?
If not, this should be solved first.

If you have a modern system which uses SATA, your harddrives are usually
listed as sda1, sda2 etc.
I'm not sure if grub needs different commands in that case.

D.