LFS 6.3 - Chapter 8.4 - Cannot install grub

Rafael Lopez rafa2005ar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 21:43:04 PDT 2008

The kernel was installed and chapter 8.4 was reached.
After entering grub and issuing the root command -identifying the disk
and partition where /boot is located as said in the book- this is is
what I get:

grub> root (hd0,0)
Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Actually, as long as I'm still within chroot, I cannot understand how
to "see" a disk and its partitions and/or how is grub going to "see"
the same.
Just in case you wonder about it, my box has only one hard disk with
three partitions: / is mounted on hda1 (hd0,0), swap on hda2 (hd0,1)
and /home on hda3 (hd0,2) (yes, of course, as seen from outside
chroot, which is LFS LiveCD).
Please advise how to get out from this hole.
Thank you !! - Rafael