Connecting to the Internet

Michael msd4824 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 08:28:02 PDT 2008

> > Today, I finished the LFS book, and booted into my first linux install that I
> compiled myself!
> >
> > Since I want to go deeper, and make it a full pledged desktop environment, I
> headed over to the BLFS book.  I know it sounds like I'm on the wrong mailing
> list, but stick with me.
> >
> > I get to a part where I have to get a patch off of the internet.  I installed
> wget, and when I went to download the patch, I realized that I wasn't connected
> to the internet.
> >
> > So, after checking through everything, I believe I set up the network card
> properly, according to the LFS book.  My wireless USB card is an Encore
> ENUWI-ZDPR.  It's a cheap little thing, but it works fine on a pre-compiled
> distro.
> >
> > Anyways, on boot, I noticed it said something about the interface for wlan0
> doesn't exist.  (I know wlan sounds like the LAN port, but it is indeed the
> wireless device.)
> >
> > On other distro's, I have to set it up using NDIS Wrappers.  I'm not sure how
> much that matters, but I figured it couldn't hurt to volunteer that information.
> >
> > So basically, even though I need the internet connection for BLFS, I messed up
> setting it up in LFS, thus the reason I choose this mailing list instead.
> >
> > Sadly, hardwiring isn't a solution, as the router is simply too far away from
> the computer.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Also, before I forget.  For /etc/resolv.conf file, what do I put in the domain
> line?  Would that be the IP I show the world, or what would it be?
> >

> A search for encore usb wireless shows that Asus is the only source for
> such devices.
> 802.11b     WL-140
>     USB     Prism2/2.5/3     linux-wlan-ng     green     with 6 dBi omni ant.;
> http://www.linux-wlan.org
> 802.11g     WL-160G
>     USB
>
>     grey
> 802.11g     WL-167G     man:0b05 dev:1706     USB     Ralink     rt2x00
> green     Driver
> available from manufacturer:
> http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html , or
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
>

> are the usb devices with chipset info from:
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Encore

The first one on the list appears to be mine.

> a Search for the specific model you give returns zero results. even in
> google.

Heres the exact website I bought it from:
http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=3391

But, I took out the box to check, as I just realized that the picture is completely wrong there for my device.  The box I have says ENUWI-G.

> I have a cardbus wireless device that uses the Ralink chipset, this
> website's db has been updated since I got it, since it was not confirmed
> that the driver worked and now is.
> [ I sent them the confirmation myself. ]

I'm next to positive my chipset is a Realtek, not sure which one though.

> try the lfs livecd, Alexander put support for the ralink chipset into it
> before the 6.3 release. it may drive your usb wireless.

I tried the LiveCD, and my card wasn't supported at all.

> the wlan0 no interface found is an error I have seen with the right
> drivers and .bin files, the actual interface is ra0 for my card.
>
> Jaqui

Thanks again!