Connecting to the Internet

Michael msd4824 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 08:18:50 PDT 2008

> /etc/resolv.conf is to store your name servers for dns resolution rather
> than your IP, but I think this can be ignored as your wireless router is
> likely to be a dhcp server and a dns relay too, in which case dhcp would
> update resolv.conf anyway (unless configured not to do so).
>
> 2 main questions I guess, do we have a device for the wlan card at all?
> You mention other distro's using ndiswrapper, but I'm not sure if you
> have tried it on lfs yet, or attempted to build  a driver into the
> kernel.  If neither, have a look at whether there are any native linux
> drivers for your device, and if not grab a copy of ndiswrapper, I also
> recommend downloading dhcpcd to manage your connection setup.  I guess
> the other issue could be wireless security?  I don't use wireless so
> I've no idea how this goes on linux, if everything else looks good you
> could try switching to open mode for a few mins as a test.
>
> Hope something in there is of some use.
>
> Regards
>
> Phill Upson

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by device, but my card is an Encore ENUWI-G.

Well, after sending out this email, I tried installing NDISWrappers.  According to their FAQ on their website, they also recommend installing Wireless Tools for Linux.  I ran iwconfig, and heres what was shown:
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

ipddp0    no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

gre0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

ip6tnl0   no wireless extensions.

wlan0 isn't even listed, so to me it appears it can't be found.

Thanks for the help!