Connecting to the Internet

J. Greenlees lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Tue Jun 10 06:31:48 PDT 2008

Michael wrote:
> Today, I finished the LFS book, and booted into my first linux install that I compiled myself!
>
> Since I want to go deeper, and make it a full pledged desktop environment, I headed over to the BLFS book.  I know it sounds like I'm on the wrong mailing list, but stick with me.
>
> I get to a part where I have to get a patch off of the internet.  I installed wget, and when I went to download the patch, I realized that I wasn't connected to the internet.
>
> So, after checking through everything, I believe I set up the network card properly, according to the LFS book.  My wireless USB card is an Encore ENUWI-ZDPR.  It's a cheap little thing, but it works fine on a pre-compiled distro.
>
> Anyways, on boot, I noticed it said something about the interface for wlan0 doesn't exist.  (I know wlan sounds like the LAN port, but it is indeed the wireless device.)
>
> On other distro's, I have to set it up using NDIS Wrappers.  I'm not sure how much that matters, but I figured it couldn't hurt to volunteer that information.
>
> So basically, even though I need the internet connection for BLFS, I messed up setting it up in LFS, thus the reason I choose this mailing list instead.
>
> Sadly, hardwiring isn't a solution, as the router is simply too far away from the computer.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Also, before I forget.  For /etc/resolv.conf file, what do I put in the domain line?  Would that be the IP I show the world, or what would it be?

A search for encore usb wireless shows that Asus is the only source for
such devices.
802.11b 	WL-140
	USB 	Prism2/2.5/3 	linux-wlan-ng 	green 	with 6 dBi omni ant.;
http://www.linux-wlan.org
802.11g 	WL-160G
	USB

	grey
802.11g 	WL-167G 	man:0b05 dev:1706 	USB 	Ralink 	rt2x00 	green 	Driver
available from manufacturer:
http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html , or
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

are the usb devices with chipset info from:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

a Search for the specific model you give returns zero results. even in
google.

I have a cardbus wireless device that uses the Ralink chipset, this
website's db has been updated since I got it, since it was not confirmed
that the driver worked and now is.
[ I sent them the confirmation myself. ]

try the lfs livecd, Alexander put support for the ralink chipset into it
before the 6.3 release. it may drive your usb wireless.

the wlan0 no interface found is an error I have seen with the right
drivers and .bin files, the actual interface is ra0 for my card.

Jaqui