Connecting to the Internet

Michael msd4824 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 22:30:53 PDT 2008

Today, I finished the LFS book, and booted into my first linux install that I compiled myself!

Since I want to go deeper, and make it a full pledged desktop environment, I headed over to the BLFS book.  I know it sounds like I'm on the wrong mailing list, but stick with me.

I get to a part where I have to get a patch off of the internet.  I installed wget, and when I went to download the patch, I realized that I wasn't connected to the internet.

So, after checking through everything, I believe I set up the network card properly, according to the LFS book.  My wireless USB card is an Encore ENUWI-ZDPR.  It's a cheap little thing, but it works fine on a pre-compiled distro.

Anyways, on boot, I noticed it said something about the interface for wlan0 doesn't exist.  (I know wlan sounds like the LAN port, but it is indeed the wireless device.)

On other distro's, I have to set it up using NDIS Wrappers.  I'm not sure how much that matters, but I figured it couldn't hurt to volunteer that information.

So basically, even though I need the internet connection for BLFS, I messed up setting it up in LFS, thus the reason I choose this mailing list instead.

Sadly, hardwiring isn't a solution, as the router is simply too far away from the computer.

Thanks for the help!

Also, before I forget.  For /etc/resolv.conf file, what do I put in the domain line?  Would that be the IP I show the world, or what would it be?