GCC build error (missing separator)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 6 09:47:32 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:56:20PM +0930, Sharif Oerton wrote:

> > e.g. perhaps the '\' in the second sed was not the last character
> > on a line (it's a continuation, just like in the configure command).
> > Getting that wrong could conceivably wipe out gcc/Makefile.in - what
> > do you get for
> >  ls -l ../gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Makefile.in*
> >
> >  ? - if any of these files are zero length, you messed up the seds.
>
> 200, for all of them.
 Slight surprise that they are all identical-length:
Makefile.in.orig should be about 4 characters longer because the
first sed shortens it, and similarly the second sed adds about 21
characters to what is in Makefile.in.tmp (my maths might be out!).
So, I don't think your seds worked.  I'm less than familiar with
gcc/Makefile.in, but 200 sounds a bit short, so I took a look at my
own tarball:

ken at bluesbreaker ~ $tar -tvf /sources/gcc-4.1.2.tar.bz2
gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Makefile.in
-rw-rw-r-- mitchell/mitchell 198099 2006-11-01 14:40
gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Makefile.in
ken at bluesbreaker ~ $

 A bit of a difference from 200.  I think you need to confirm your
gcc tarball is still intact (the md5sum is in section 3.2), then
work _slowly_ through section 5.11.1.  Before the first sed, look at
the size of gcc/Makefile.in then copy it, run the sed, and check
again.  If the sizes are still sensible, do the second sed and again
check.

 If, for either sed, the sizes are not sensible, diff the original
and resulting files to see what changed, it might help identify what
is going wrong.  In fact, diff them anyway and look at what changed,
so you can be sure it is correct.

 If it all looks good to you, apply the patch, wipe out any existing
gcc-build directory, recreate gcc-build, and run the configure
(logging it through 'tee' as I suggested earlier).

 Then run make, and again log it.  If it fails in the same way,
you'll need to go through the output from configure with the
proverbial fine-toothed comb.  Perhaps, you could post the
interesting values from config.log (SET_MAKE, LANGUAGES) - I doubt
the full log will be small enough to post.

> The only thing that I can see that might be relevant in configure's output is
> this:
>
> *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
> 	target-libada gnattools target-libgfortran target-libffi target-boeh-gc
> target-zlib target-libjava zlib fastjar target-libobjc

 Funnily enough, that output is normal.

ĸen