GCC build error (missing separator)

Sharif Oerton sharif at oerton.net.au
Thu Jun 5 22:26:20 PDT 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 10:29:27 Ken Moffat wrote:
>  In that case, I have no idea what the specific cause is.  I guess
> you are missing something essential - it almost sounds as if make
> itself is not found, but you couldn't have got this far.
>
>  Ah, at the start of pass 2 we copy gcc/Makefile.in to
> gcc/Makefile.in.orig and sed it, then copy to gcc/Makefile.in.tmp
> and sed that back to gcc/Makefile.in - I wonder if something went
> wrong in your seds.
>
> e.g. perhaps the '\' in the second sed was not the last character
> on a line (it's a continuation, just like in the configure command).
> Getting that wrong could conceivably wipe out gcc/Makefile.in - what
> do you get for
>  ls -l ../gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Makefile.in*
>
>  ? - if any of these files are zero length, you messed up the seds.

200, for all of them.

The only thing that I can see that might be relevant in configure's output is
this:

*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
	target-libada gnattools target-libgfortran target-libffi target-boeh-gc
target-zlib target-libjava zlib fastjar target-libobjc

Sharif