GCC build error (missing separator)

Sharif Oerton sharif at oerton.net.au
Thu Jun 5 02:23:33 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 23:04:56 Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:39:36PM +0930, Sharif Oerton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm building GCC, pass two, and I'm pretty sure I've entered everything
> > exactly as instructed (I did it twice just to make sure).
> >
> > The error I get is
> >
> > Makefile:275: *** missing separator. Stop.
> >
> > Line 275 in the makefile is
> >
> > @SET_MAKE@
> >
> > . Not being versed in makefile syntax I'm not sure if that's correct or
> > not.
> >
> > Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what my next step might be? I
> > really have no idea.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Sharif
>
>  Did you remember to delete the gcc and gcc-build directories after
> the first pass ?  If you didn't, please do so now and try again.
>
>  If it still fails, or you know you deleted them, there is more than
> one Makefile in the gcc tree!  So, please look at the messages you
> got to see which directory was being used, and then post the lines
> around the problematic line in that Makefile (as well as telling us
> which Makefile it was, and indeed which version of gcc since you
> haven't told us which version of the book you are using).  A single
> line on its own doesn't give enough context to see what is going on.
> Thanks.
>
> ĸen
> --
> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

Okay, last things first.

I'm trying to compile GCC 4.1.2, using the LFS 6.3 liveCD.

I definitely deleted the gcc and gcc-build directories.

I'm not quite sure where to look to find out which directory was being used,
I'm sorry. The only makefile I can see is the one in the gcc-build directory.
The configure script makes no mention of which directory.

Some lines from the makefile, surrounding line 275:

STAMP = echo timestamp >

# Make sure the $(MAKE) variable is defined.
@SET_MAKE@
REMAKEFLAGS=LANGUAGES="$(LANGUAGES)" BOOT_CFLAGS="$(BOOT_CFLAGS)"

Thanks again,
Sharif