GCC build error (missing separator)

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 4 06:34:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:39:36PM +0930, Sharif Oerton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building GCC, pass two, and I'm pretty sure I've entered everything
> exactly as instructed (I did it twice just to make sure).
>
> The error I get is
>
> Makefile:275: *** missing separator. Stop.
>
> Line 275 in the makefile is
>
> @SET_MAKE@
>
> . Not being versed in makefile syntax I'm not sure if that's correct or not.
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what my next step might be? I really
> have no idea.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Sharif
 Did you remember to delete the gcc and gcc-build directories after
the first pass ?  If you didn't, please do so now and try again.

 If it still fails, or you know you deleted them, there is more than
one Makefile in the gcc tree!  So, please look at the messages you
got to see which directory was being used, and then post the lines
around the problematic line in that Makefile (as well as telling us
which Makefile it was, and indeed which version of gcc since you
haven't told us which version of the book you are using).  A single
line on its own doesn't give enough context to see what is going on.
Thanks.

ĸen