interface eth0 doesn't exist

Sanjeet Kumar sanjeet_guddu at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 23:20:50 PDT 2008

--- On Tue, 3/6/08, Matt Darcy <darcym at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> From: Matt Darcy <darcym at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: interface eth0 doesn't exist
> To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Date: Tuesday, 3 June, 2008, 3:25 AM
> Sanjeet Kumar wrote:
> > hi all!
> >
> > i am using a lenovo notebook with intel pro wireless
> 3945abg built in it. i'd  used LFS6.2 book 2 build a
> system. I get this warninng after every boot.
> >
> > Interface eth0 doesn't exist      [warn]
> >
> > i'm right now compiling blfs6.2....n i've
> installed proper driver for my ipw card..which the kernel
> detects at boot...which is there when i run dmesg..
> >
> > i think udev doesn't create a node for the device
> because i cannot find a directory in /sys/class/net for my
> device...the only directory there is lo.
> >
> > the name is eth0 throughout for this device
> >
> > i don't know how to fix it..
> >
> > also...i don't see nodes for other devices such as
> cdrom...
> >
> > thanks in advance..
> >
> > sanjeet
> >

> >       Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You
> name it, we have it on
> http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/
> >

> Hello there,
>
> there should be no eth$X device in /dev
>
> wirless cards don't normally come up as eth0/eth1/eth2
> etc etc, some of
> them have names like ath0. check the udev rules for your
> device name,
> and change the device your configuring in /etc/sysconfig to
> match the
> correct device.
>
> If it's wirless make sure you have wirless tools
> installed and make sure
> you setup the interface correctly.
>
> Matt
>
> --

hey matt!

thanks for the response..there's not any problem with the nomenclature...

recently...when i executed /sbin/ipw3945d-start the device node got created and i could find a directory eth0 for the device in /sys/class/net....(ipw3945 is the driver)....but why doesn't it startup at boot......and i still cannot connect to any ap using dhclient

there's no modprobe.d modprobe.conf module.conf in /etc directory as suggested by other mailing lists.....though i created modprobe.conf with the contents 'alias eth0 ipw3945'

i don't 've net-tools installed...i couldn't compile it...but i've other wireless tools like iwconfig installed...

sanjeet

      Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food and more. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/