interface eth0 doesn't exist

Matt Darcy darcym at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 2 14:55:36 PDT 2008

Sanjeet Kumar wrote:
> hi all!
>
> i am using a lenovo notebook with intel pro wireless 3945abg built in it. i'd  used LFS6.2 book 2 build a system. I get this warninng after every boot.
>
> Interface eth0 doesn't exist      [warn]
>
> i'm right now compiling blfs6.2....n i've installed proper driver for my ipw card..which the kernel detects at boot...which is there when i run dmesg..
>
> i think udev doesn't create a node for the device because i cannot find a directory in /sys/class/net for my device...the only directory there is lo.
>
> the name is eth0 throughout for this device
>
> i don't know how to fix it..
>
> also...i don't see nodes for other devices such as cdrom...
>
> thanks in advance..
>
> sanjeet
>

>       Bollywood, fun, friendship, sports and more. You name it, we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/

Hello there,

there should be no eth$X device in /dev

wirless cards don't normally come up as eth0/eth1/eth2 etc etc, some of
them have names like ath0. check the udev rules for your device name,
and change the device your configuring in /etc/sysconfig to match the
correct device.

If it's wirless make sure you have wirless tools installed and make sure
you setup the interface correctly.

Matt