Section 5.5 -- collect2 cannot find ld

andras toth grossespinne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 06:20:00 PDT 2008

Hello!

I am building LFS using the LiveCD in a Virtualbox machine.
I followed all the instructions until Section 5.5 (Linux-2.6.22.5 API Headers),
where after issuing the command "make headers_check", I got the
following error output:

CHK include/linux/version.h
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdepecho é
collect2: cannot find 'ld'
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

I have already checked that the $PATH and $LFS variables are set
correctly and the
/tools symlink exists. I also checked that I can access ld through the
commandline.
I tried to Google the issue but the only suggestion I found is that
collect2 does not find ld
when there is a . (dot) in the path which here is not.
Any help would be welcome

Regards,
Andras