Section 5.51 Ver6.3 Please Help

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Tue Jul 29 20:51:01 PDT 2008

Daniel Corda wrote:
> got a question for you.I read the configure for gcc and it does not look
> like the configure output for gcc in section 5.2 I believe it checked all
> the paths to figure out what to use what should I do. Also should I be
> deleteing the binutils source and build after installing binutils
> similarly all other packages I am installing. I do not want to compile
> gcc again just for the kernel headers  to unpack unproperly afterward .
> gcc configure give me the following is this
>
>  note inaddition that gcc pointed to the appropriate linker when
> executring  gcc -print-prog-name=ld. I have been checking my work so I
> think everything is ok but i just want to be sure.  note that the
> configure out put does not match
>
> checking what assembler to use...
>         /tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/as
> checking what linker to use... /tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld
>

> there is why to much printed is this ok
> thanks.

Ignore page 5.2. That's some generic technical information about the
build process - the configure output is not necessarily supposed to look
like what you see on that page - it's just general info about how the
whole build works. What do you get when you do "type -p ld"?

Also, you need to read page 5.1 closely. It does in fact tell you to
remove all source and build directories after each installation.