Using different kernel/header versions?

wwh04660 at ucmo.edu wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:44:28 PDT 2008

On Jul 14, 2008, at 11:19 AM, rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:

> Does using a boot kernel older than the kernel source used to generate
> API headers cause problems?
>
> In explanation, I built LFS 6.3 per documentation using the 2.6.22.5
> kernel source to generate API headers.  Unfortunately, I can't boot to
> the 2.6.22.5 kernel.  However, I can successfully boot to my LFS 6.2
> 2.6.16.27 kernel.  I can also compile a 2.6.16.27 kernel on my 6.3
> system and boot.
>
> So, is there a problem running an older kernel against newer headers
> until I solve the newer kernel problem?
>
> --

You have to be careful when doing this. For example, if you build an
LFS with 2.6.24 headers
and then attempt to run a kernel, say 2.6.22 or 2.6.21 on it,
configuring the network interfaces
most likely will end up in you having RTNETLINK issues ( I know as
I've done my own experimentation).
What you need to do is build LFS using the book's kernel headers
version, and then build a newer kernel known to work. The kernel
builds against it's own headers and won't use system headers.

William