Compile error after final Re-adjusting the Toolchain

Tarsier tarsier6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 07:21:48 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> From: Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: Compile error after final Re-adjusting the Toolchain
> To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
> Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 8:16 PM
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:34:33PM -0700, Tarsier wrote:
> >
> > Yep, no typo, I applied the GCC-4.2.3 - Pass 1 and
> GCC-4.2.3 - Pass 2 instructions to build and install the
> GCC 4.3.1 and the toolchain. Appreciate if you could refer
> to my first email, I want to understand why the linking
> went wrong after building the toolchain.
>
>  If you want to use a newer major version of gcc, you need
> to know
> what has changed, and then you can either correct patches
> or seds so
> that they continue to work, or add whatever new
> instructions and
> packages are needed.
>
>  For clfs (which continues to use patches for gcc), I know
> someone
> has built with gcc-4.3, but I haven't looked at their
> findings so I
> don't know what needed to be changed.  For LFS, I
> don't remember if
> anyone has built successfully with gcc-4.3 : you might be
> out on
> your own.

I restarted building the "Temporary System".

Appreciate very much if someone could send me the following dummy.log (verbose output of the compilation) after the "GCC-4.2.3 - Pass 2" but before chroot:
	echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
	cc dummy.c -v -Wl,--verbose &> dummy.log

This will surely help me to verify whether my "Temporary System" build properly.

Many thanks in advance.

Tarsier