Compile error after final Re-adjusting the Toolchain

Tarsier tarsier6 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 20:54:39 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> From: Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: Compile error after final Re-adjusting the Toolchain
> To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 6:30 AM
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:33:22PM +0200, Philipp Christian
> Loewner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > first of all I can not promise to be of any help.
> >
> > > It is getting crtbegin.o, libgcc.a, libgcc_eh.a
> and crtend.o from
> > > /tools/lib/gcc/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/4.3.1/ .
> >
> > Isn't it suppposed to get files belonging to gcc
> from /tools?
>  Not after the _final_ readjustment, no - at this point it
> should be
> ready to build for the final system.

But crtbegin.o, libgcc.a, libgcc_eh.a and crtend.o are not installed yet to the /usr, there are still on /tools.

What I have on /usr right before the final readjustment are the C libraries, Header files and dynamic linker.

There are no shared libraries under /tools/lib/gcc/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/4.3.1/. Therefore, it uses static libraries:
attempt to open /tools/lib/gcc/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/4.3.1/libgcc.so failed
attempt to open /tools/lib/gcc/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/4.3.1/libgcc.a succeeded

All library references, -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc -lgcc_eh, as per COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS are found. Its only crt1.o, crti.o and crtn.o from /usr/lib/.

Issue seems to be cannot link objects/libraries from two different sources, /tools and /usr. So the question is can I?

>  The big problem here is the gcc version Tarsier is using -
> it doesn't match what's in the book.  I know people
> are using the
> 4.3 series, but I don't know what changes they've
> had to make.
>
>  Trying newer versions, after one is familiar with the
> build process,
> is not a bad thing.  However, expecting to use a new
> version of gcc
> (rather than a new point release) without the instructions
> changing,
> is "optimistic".  And asking for help without
> mentioning the
> variation(s) one has made doesn't help anybody.

I'm experienced with LFS building. I'm trying as per LFS version SVN-20080711. No instruction were changed for compiler building.

Tarsier