ncurses5.6 make error

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Wed Jul 2 10:29:19 PDT 2008

Michael Spitler wrote:

> Ok, I wound up starting over again, and noticed the following error when
> running 'make check' after installing dejaGNU, right before
> I am supposed to run the second pass of gcc:
>
> ../../depcomp: line 402: exec: g++: not found
> make[4]: *** [unit.o] Error 127
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/dejagnu-1.4.4/testsuite/libdejagnu'
> make[3]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/dejagnu-1.4.4/testsuite'
> make[2]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/dejagnu-1.4.4'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/dejagnu-1.4.4'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> I ignored the error the last time I tried, because everything seemed fine till
> then, and also because when I installed gcc(first pass) I specified
> to only use c in the ./configure step as per the instructions. This led me
> to believe that this would be fixed in the second pass when gcc is built with
> the c and c++ options.
>
> What baffles me most is that I was able to run the sanity check while adjusting
> the toolchain just fine, so the compiler should be there...

The dejagnu testsuite doesn't matter. First, the book tells you (in page
4.6) that running testsuites in chapter 5 isn't really of any use, so
it's pretty much a waste of time running any of them. Second, you are
correct in that at the time you install dejagnu, you haven't yet
installed a c++ compiler so that's completely expected anyway. However,
you should have it by the time you get to ncurses. So in your first
build you had to have missed something in GCC Pass 2 (perhaps forgot
make install, or skipped the whole thing).

And the sanity check only checks the C compiler (gcc), not g++, so it's
possible for that to pass even if you goof up Pass 2.