Kernel panic... Unable to mount root fs

Christian Gardner christian_gardner at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 09:39:59 PDT 2008

Hi all, hope someone can help me out, it's been five years since I last used LFS (or linux for that matter!) so I'm a bit rusty...

I've gone through the LFS6.3 book. It all seems to go fine until I boot up the new system. These are the last three lines before it totally freezes:

List of all partitions:
No file system could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

So what's going on? I've looked through the FAQ and the mailing-list archive. These suggest that I need to enable SCSI support when compiling the kernel (in the Ubuntu 7.xx distro I'm using as a host, my hard drive is sda not hda). Well I'm pretty sure I've done that!

Tried compiling a 'vanilla' kernel, ie left everything alone in menuconfig - didn't work.
Tried ticking a few options in menuconfig with the letters 'scsi' in them - didn't work... but there are so damn many, what *exactly* am I supposed to be enabling?
Tried using the .config from the Ubuntu distro... didn't work.
Tried plopping the kernel from the Ubuntu distro straight into the /boot of the LFS partition... didn't work.
Burned an LFS LiveCD, booted that up. It found my hard drive fine. Nicked the config file off that, compiled the kernel... didn't work.

I'm out of ideas!