compilation error for inetutils-1.5 in LFS-6.3

Justin O'Neil oneil.justin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:42:18 PST 2008

Thank You, bjd, it worked like a charm.  I don't have much experience
in compiling software (much more now that I've started then before!)
so I want you to try and tell me how well I understand it.  Basically
the preprocessor expands the macros and such in a .c file, then it is
compiled into assembly, assembled and and linked against libraries.
Now, the LDFLAGS, I assume, is the command options that are supposed
to be sent to the linker.

Breaking down the LDFLAGS you gave me, -l adds a library to the list
of files to link, in this case libncurses.a.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is why do I specifically have to
tell ld to link to ncurses?

Thank You too, Wilco, I should have mentioned that I am using the
lfslivecd-x86-6.2-5 CD, with the 6.3 book and package (the one with
all the packages in a big .tar file) tarballs added on, as well as
the Linux kernel patches to upgrade to the newest 2.6.22.x kernel.