System Doesn't Boot Part 2

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 27 06:16:20 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 06:36:17PM -0800, Mark Olbert wrote:

> Your comment about "all the devices" prompted me to check something:
> when the LFS system is finished booting, there are no tty or pty (I
> think that's it) devices listed. With the Slackware boot (and my memory of my LFS system when it used to be working) there were tons of tty and pty devices.

 That explains why you couldn't login, even with /dev/console
recreated, and the "respawning too fast" - if tty1 to tty6 don't
exist (the gazillion other ttyn ttynn ttyxn devices probably aren't
needed on most systems) - you can't run agetty on them, so it dies
immediately, and is respawned.

 Still doesn't explain why it suddenly all went pear-shaped, but I'm
glad you got it running again.  For your next build, I strongly
recommend you to take backups of the base system, and anything else
important ;-)

ĸen