LFS 6 System Won't Boot

Mark Olbert molbert at iterobiopharm.com
Sat Jan 26 10:06:14 PST 2008

I have an oddball problem that is causing me to rip out hair :)

My LFS 6 system, which has performed like a champ for years, suddenly stopped booting the other day. Initially the problem was that it couldn't "see" /dev/sda1, /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 (which is how my SATA drive shows up in the system), so when it came time to mount the filesystems it tossed off some error messages, told me to hit enter, and froze.

I traced this particular problem to some kind of corruption in the udev rules: apparently the rules that described how to set up /dev/sd* went away (I'm not sure how that happened, it's possible it could have been my doing, but I tend to be pretty careful about making backup copies of files).

Unfortunately, I didn't have the udev config rules file from when I built the system several years ago. But I was able to scrounge some rules from a working Slackware (2.6.10) distro that I keep on the same drive, in a different partition, for emergencies like this. Copying the Slackware rules into the LFS rules folder solved the initial problem.

But now I have a different one: the filesystems mount properly, and all of the shell scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d run to completion...but then the system hangs again. No error messages, it just hangs.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this. In particular, can someone explain to me the "normal" sequence of events after /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d is processed? I thought that the boot sequence then started working its way through the shell scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d. But I put some echo statements in the first such script (sysklogd), and the file is never entered. So the boot sequence must go someplace else after /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d. But I don't know where!

Thanks in advance for any help, and again my apologies about polluting the list with that earlier test message.

- Mark