Problem to build grub

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 19 05:35:07 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 12:38:16PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Use lilo.  Grub needs a 32-bit system, so it works on x86 and
> x86_64 multilib only.

 Of course, what I meant to say was that it only *builds* as 32-bit.
Anyway, I assume the Live CD has bin86 and lilo in its book.

 What people new to lilo sometimes don't realise is that it writes
the loader with pointers to the blocks making up the kernel images.
So if you save an updated kernel, even with the same name as you used
before, it will be in different blocks on the filesystem and you will
have to rerun lilo before you can boot it.

 You might want to compare what is in the clfs pure64 book -
http://cross-lfs.org/view/svn/x86_64-64/ in sections 10.54, 10.55,
and 12.4.  People may think I put too much detail into that, but
bootloaders are horrible things, every one different from the others,
and a major aggravation when things go wrong.

 If you already have a system with grub on the same machine, you can
continue to use that version of grub, just add the new kernel/system
to its menu.  That does assume that if you ever replace the disk you
will have a 32-bit or multilib system (could be a Live CD) to
reinstall grub.

ĸen