amd64-build problems//now problem with TCL

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 6 05:45:55 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:19:52AM +0100, blux.net at lineone.net wrote:
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
> C compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
>
> ######### I check config.log and found the following snippet
> configure:1848: ./a.out
> ./configure: ./a.out: /tools/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2: bad ELF
> interpreter: No such file or directory
> configure:1851: $? = 126
> configure:1860: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
>

> ####### I did the following as super user
> [root at bigworda cooker]# cd '/mnt/lfs/tools/lib'
> [root at bigworda lib]# ln -s ld-2.7.so  ../lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
> [root at bigworda lib]# chown -R lfs:lfs /mnt/lfs
> [root at bigworda lib]
>
> ######## and as lfs  i ran the configure script again
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
> C compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> lfs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.5.0/unix$

 I don't think there is a lot I can suggest here.  The short answer is
to point you to again look at config.log - presumably, the error is
something different this time (either that, or your symlink is
somehow broken).  Mind you, the only time I remember seeing a 'bad
ELF interpreter' message was in a test to see if a 32-bit kernel
could run 64-bit binaries (it couldn't).

 The longer answer is to point out that getting a working build
method is difficult.  Technically, you are straying from the svn
book to even attempt x86_64.  That is not a bad thing, neither is
trying newer versions, but both lead to frequent breakage.  So,three
alternatives for you:

 If you have svn, download the jh branch, plus the patches it refers
to, and render it - you can then read it to learn what has been
discovered and recommended in building natively for x86_64.

 Alexander keeps releasing versions of the Live CD with an
unofficial x86_64 book.  Google for a mail headed 'Stable LFS
LiveCD 6.3-r2160 released' (It was sent to -dev at the end of
December.  If you are playing with the development book and newer
versions of packages, you should probably be subscribed to -dev, or
following its archives.)

 In many ways, following clfs is a workable solution.  I can't say
if the current pure64 book will cause problems or not, I'm too busy
with a couple of other architectures.

 Whichever route you take, it's worth doing, but not necessarily
easy.

ĸen