amd64-build problems//now problem with TCL

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Sun Jan 6 02:19:52 PST 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 20:59:15 Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:11:23PM +0100, blux.net at lineone.net
wrote:
> > lieee -lm   -Wl,-rpath,/tools/lib
> > fixstrtod.o: In function `fixstrtod':
> > fixstrtod.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `fixstrtod'
> > strtod.o:strtod.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make: *** [libtcl8.4.so] Error 1
> > Installing private header files
>
>  Thanks for cutting and pasting.  There are occasional reports of
>
> this, and last April Tijnema suggested:
> > try running:
> > export ac_cv_func_strtod=yes
> > and then run configure and make again.
>
>  I don't know if it worked, but it's the best suggestion I can find.
> That seems to be based on
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/hlfs-dev/2006-June/003039.html
>  which has a further additional export as sometimes needed.
>
>  All in all, it's a little disconcerting, because nobody has
> reported this recently, and it is unclear in what circumstances it
> (or 'they') is/are needed.  Wearing one of my other hats, I'm happy
> to throw the proverbial kitchen-sink full of ac_cv and similar
> spells at a _cross_-compiler, albeit I always put them in
> config.cache and pass a pointer to that.  Shouldn't usually be
> necessary, but maybe there's something about the host distro.  (If
> it comes to that, I've no idea how my own 'pure64' builds will cope
> with a native build, so it might be something that needs to be added
> in moving to x86_64.)
>
>  Hang on, I don't think changes for x86_64 made it out of the 'jh'
> branch.  If you are really following the svn book, you're going to
> have some disappointment if you try to build grub from a 64-bit
> toolchain.  As far as I know, the jh branch isn't publically
rendered
> to html anywhere (so it's only available via subversion), the last
> update to it was in October, and it doesn't yet include bootloaders.
>
> ĸen
> --
> das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce

thanks for your suggestion, effort with tcl is shown below

> try running:
> > export ac_cv_func_strtod=yes
> > and then run configure and make again

###################effort with tcl8.4.16
gcc -shared -O2  -pipe -m64  -DTCL_DBGX=   -Wl,--export-dynamic -o
libtcl8.4.so regcomp.o regexec.o regfree.o regerror.o tclAlloc.o
tclAsync.o tclBasic.o tclBinary.o tclCkalloc.o tclClock.o tclCmdAH.o
tclCmdIL.o tclCmdMZ.o tclCompCmds.o tclCompExpr.o tclCompile.o tclDate.
o tclEncoding.o tclEnv.o tclEvent.o tclExecute.o tclFCmd.o tclFileName.
o tclGet.o tclHash.o tclHistory.o tclIndexObj.o tclInterp.o tclIO.o
tclIOCmd.o tclIOGT.o tclIOSock.o tclIOUtil.o tclLink.o tclListObj.o
tclLiteral.o tclLoad.o tclMain.o tclNamesp.o tclNotify.o tclObj.o
tclPanic.o tclParse.o tclParseExpr.o tclPipe.o tclPkg.o tclPosixStr.o
tclPreserve.o tclProc.o tclRegexp.o tclResolve.o tclResult.o tclScan.o
tclStringObj.o tclThread.o tclThreadAlloc.o tclThreadJoin.o tclStubInit.
o tclStubLib.o tclTimer.o tclUtf.o tclUtil.o tclVar.o tclUnixChan.o
tclUnixEvent.o tclUnixFCmd.o tclUnixFile.o tclUnixPipe.o tclUnixSock.o
tclUnixTime.o tclUnixInit.o tclUnixThrd.o tclUnixCompat.o tclUnixNotfy.
o memcmp.o strstr.o strtoul.o strtod.o fixstrtod.o tclLoadDl.o   -ldl  -
lieee -lm   -Wl,-rpath,/tools/lib
fixstrtod.o: In function `fixstrtod':
fixstrtod.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `fixstrtod'
strtod.o:strtod.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libtcl8.4.so] Error 1
lfs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.4.16/unix$

##########  #effort with tcl8.5.0
lfs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.5.0/unix$
lfs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.5.0/unix$  ./configure --
prefix=/tools  --enable-64bit
checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no
checking whether to compress the manpages... no
checking whether to add a package name suffix for the manpages... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.

######### I check config.log and found the following snippet
configure:1848: ./a.out
./configure: ./a.out: /tools/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2: bad ELF
interpreter: No such file or directory
configure:1851: $? = 126
configure:1860: error: cannot run C compiled programs.

####### I did the following as super user
[root at bigworda cooker]# cd '/mnt/lfs/tools/lib'
[root at bigworda lib]# ln -s ld-2.7.so  ../lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
[root at bigworda lib]# chown -R lfs:lfs /mnt/lfs
[root at bigworda lib]

######## and as lfs  i ran the configure script again
fs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.5.0/unix$  ./configure --prefix=/tools
--enable-64bit
checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no
checking whether to compress the manpages... no
checking whether to add a package name suffix for the manpages... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
lfs:/mnt/lfs/sourcesTSjn08/tcl8.5.0/unix$

#######

any helpful suggestion will be welcomed

sincerely
blux