/tools/bin/env

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 1 14:16:14 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 09:47:26PM +0200, zux wrote:
> hi
> i got an error after this command:
>
> > chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i HOME=root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' PAin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin /tools/bin/bash --login +h

 Typo, probably when you copied it to your mail, that should be PATH=

> > chroot: cannot run command `/tools/bin/env': No such file or directory
>
> i have probably missed something again. which package creates this binary?
 Coreutils.  But, 'No such file or directory' when trying to enter
chroot usually means something is linked against a host library.

 If /tools/bin/env exists, use 'ldd' to check what it is linked
against.  If it links to a library on the host, either your
'adjusting the toolchain' didn't work, or alternatively you built
chapter 5 in stages, and for some of it you didn't set everything up
correctly (e.g. /tools/bin was not first on your PATH).

 Alternatively is that you failed to build and install everything
(sometimes people get a double mouse click in their browser and jump
a page, sometimes people miss the instructions to install something).

 To check if each package was installed, you should mostly follow
the links that say "Details on this package are located in Section
6...", pick one of the programs, and see if exists (the obvious
exceptions are gettext and util-linux, where we install specified
programs by copying, so you only need to look at the install
instructions for those to see what should be installed).

 If coreutils is linked against the host system, you need to
identify where that error started, and which other packages are
affected.  Again, find a program, make sure it is a binary not a
script (use 'file' to check it is an ELF executable) and then use
ldd.

ĸen