Add-on:LFS, Scsi drive, and vmware

dave dave.mehler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 05:12:29 PDT 2008

Hello,
Adding to my previous msg on this subject, I've got the grub issue resolved.
On the vm where the virtual scsi drive was installed I had to indicate root
(hd1,1) and setup (hd1) to get it bootable, in my menu.lst file since that
drive would be moved to another vm, with only one scsi drive, the kernel
line was booting (hd0,1) and the kernel was at /dev/sda2 where /boot is. The
machine is getting just past the kernel loading and freezing. I'm assuming a
missing driver but am not sure what it is. Would my kernel config file help,
it is quite extensive? Thanks.
Dave.

    GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (638K lower / 522176K upper memory)

      Use the ^ and v keys to select which entry is highlighted.
      Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the
  Booting 'LFS 6.3'

root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda2
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x2615f8]

Hello,
	This is my first time building an lfs system, just getting to this
point I've learned a lot. I'm running this build/install under vmware. The
virtual machine running is a ubuntu 8.04 system, and I've installed a
virtual scsi drive to be for lfs. Everything has gone fine, I hope, up to
the point where I make the drive bootable with grub. I'm trying root (sd0,1)
and getting an error 23, this drive will be the first scsi drive in the new
vm I'm going to make for it and the / partition is the second one, swap is
the first. I'm not certain if I'm dealing with a grub/naming issue, lfs
problem, or an issue with vmware and scsi drives.
Any information I'd appreciate.
Thanks.
Dave.