Cross-compiling ?

Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. douglas at trenix.com.br
Sun Aug 24 08:20:31 PDT 2008

Em Saturday 23 August 2008 22:30:16 Nicolas FRANCOIS escreveu:
> Le Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:56:00 -0300 "Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr."
>
> <douglas at trenix.com.br> a écrit :
> > Em Friday 22 August 2008 14:13:36 Nicolas FRANCOIS escreveu:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I have an old Celeron 500MHz on witch it is practically impossible to
> > > build a base LFS. On my new DualCore, it is a question of a few hours.
> > >
> > > So I was wondering : is it possible to build the system on my DC, and
> > > then transfer it on the other computer ?
> >
> > See the CLFS project on linuxfromscratch site.
>
> OK. I tried it, but I would like a little confirmation (I'm sure this is
> not the right list to post, sorry for the noise) : I make every operation
> on a partition on my fast computer, and at the end I will move everything
> on the slow one. Is that it ?
Yes, thats right. Pay special attention on --host, --target and alike
in ./configure and the -march CFLAGS to ensure you compile for the slow arch.

Do not use --mtune of the faster machine, I don't remember where, but I
already saw that it can make your system slower in the old arch.

> And If I understood things well, I have to
> take the "chroot" way for this ?
You can even boot in the faster machine to see if all is OK, and then move it
to the slower via network or exchange the HD (obviously, you will put the old
HD on the new machine and then change it back).

> Sorry again for the misplaced question :-( I will only install this once,
> so I don't feel like subscribing to the clfs list. Please accept my
> apologize if you think it's rude :-(
For me it's ok, I hope had help you.

--
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.