Q: executables in /lib/udev , is this correct?

Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr. douglas at trenix.com.br
Fri Aug 22 11:31:36 PDT 2008

Em Thursday 21 August 2008 14:51:12 Jeremy Henty escreveu:
> I just noticed  that both my LFS 6.1 and  6.3 systems installed useful
> executables such as  vol_id into /lib/udev rather than  anywhere in my
> $PATH .  This seems inappropriate, perhaps it should be changed?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

This executables is not need to be in the PATH, they are called by udev tools
in background. They Follow the /usr/lib/<program>/* idea to separate
libraries, backstage daemons, whatever from system aplications runned in
terminals, but it is put in /lib because the /usr may not be mounted on
earlies stages of system boot.

KBD has the same approach, and personaly, I put the iptables modules there too
(my Firewall starts very early :-) )

--
Valter Douglas Lisbôa Jr.
Sócio-Diretor