Failure to boot

David Goss dagoss at buffalo.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:29:48 PDT 2008

Tobias Gasser wrote:
>> Root-FFS: No NFS server available, giving up
>> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or unknown-block(2,0)
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
>> partitions
>> 0300 156290904 hda driver: ide-disk
>> 0301 102398278 hda1
>> 0302   29294527 hda2
>> 0303       979965 hda3
>> 0304   23615550 hda4
>> 1600     4194302 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
>> Kernel panic -not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(2,0)
>>

> you get a listing of available partitions on HDA, found by the ide-disk
> driver.
>

>> For the sake of completeness, my grub entry is:
>>
>> title LFS 6.3
>> root (hd0,3)
>> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/sda4
>>

> as your log shows partitions found on HDA not SDA you probably have to
> change your grub menu to "... root=/dev/hda4"
>

>> I just double checked with gparted to make sure lfs is indeed on sda4,
>> and it is.  I also checked my kernel configuration and I did indeed
>> rebuild it with the proper modules.  I also double checked the
>> timestamps of the bzImage in the source tree and the kernel image in
>> /boot to make sure that I didn't forget to copy it after it was
>> compiled.  I'm clearly overlooking something, but I'm not sure what.
>>

> the partitions found by ubuntu on SDAx will be found from your actual
> lfs-kernel according to the log on HDAx.
>
> you probably have still some old PATA drivers active. this driver seems
> to feel responsible for your disk on /dev/hda, and thus no driver is
> responsible for the same disk on /dev/sda.
>

> * second try:
>

> you copied the kernel to /dev/sda4/boot (on the LFS-partition) or
> /dev/sda2/boot (ubuntu)?
>
> copy it to both and play arround with
>
>   root (hd0,X)
>   kernel (hd0,Y)/boot/...
>
> where X/Y means all possible permutations with 1 and 3. (eventually try
> again with root=/dev/sda4 instead of hda4)
>

> tobias

Changing sda->hda in menu.lst an fstab allows me to boot, though it
still displays hda.  The proper sata driver is built into the kernel.
 From your post, it sounds like I probably have an older drive that's
taking precedence over the sata, which is causing this problem?

Just for my information, boot when the disk is detected as hda rather
than sda isn't going to do any damage, correct?  It would just read at a
lower speed?