Failure to boot

Richard Melville richard.melville at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 12 00:32:04 PDT 2008

> When booting my lfs installation, I get the following errors:
>
> swapon: cannot stat dev/sda3: no such file or directory
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4
>
> I suspect this is due to my grub configuration.  Rather than installing
> grub, I added these lines to menu.lst on my host system:
>
> title LFS 6.3
> root (hd0,3)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.22.5 root=/dev/hda4

I'm assuming that the grub menu.lst that you edited on your host system
is on sda2 (Ubuntu).  If these are the files that you are using to boot
LFS then your LFS entry on the second line should read root (hd0,1),
*not* root (hda0,3).

As far as I know grub only recognises the "hd" disk nomenclature, so
even if the kernel sees your disks as "sd" grub will still see them as
"hd", so the above is correct.

Richard