Failure to boot

Philipp Christian Loewner bOrgph at web.de
Mon Aug 11 19:24:55 PDT 2008

> Replacing sda4 with hda4 in menu.lst results in a different error:
>
> swapon: cannot stat dev/sda3: no such file or directory
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4
> The super block could not be read or does not describe a correct ext
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternative
> superblock.
>
> I like this error more because if lets me press ENTER to shutdown the
> system, rather than having to reach down and hit the reset button.
> However, I'd prefer no error, obviously. I still suspect something is
> wrong with the way I handled grub.  All I did was add those three lines
> to my hosts's menu.lst.  It feels like I should have done more.  The LFS
> book includes the grub package without mentioning the option of using
> the host's grub instead, which makes me suspect that I wasn't supposed
> to do it this way for some reason.
>
> -David

I think this shows that the kernel succeded in opening the root filesystem
this time and started the boot process. My guess is that finds your
/etc/fstab
on the partition /dev/hda4, but sees /dev/sda4 as root partition and
readjusts.
It also tries setting up swap according to the fstab. Perhaps you can just
edit the /etc/fstab to /dev/hda, too.

	- Philipp