6.9. Glibc-2.5.1

Philipp Christian Loewner bOrgph at web.de
Mon Aug 11 15:05:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

normally, the structure when installing
programs with separate build directories
should like this:

+maindir
|   - tarballs and patches
|   + unpacked source tarball (e.g. glibc-2.5.1)
|   |  - source tree
|   + builddir (e.g. glibc-build)
|   |  - commands entered here

However, you seem to maintain a structure
similar to this:

+maindir
|   -tarballs and patches
|   + builddir
|   |   + unpacked source tarball
|   |   |   - source tree
|   |   |   - you enter commands here

I'm not really sure wether you made the installations
until now which require a seperate build directory work *somehow*,
or if I just got something terribly wrong there. However, if you
happen to use a structure similar to that above, then I may suggest
that you re-read the book from the beginning and try to follow
everything in there as close as possible.
Also, only create separate build directories if the book tells you
to.

You have to follow the book's instructions word by word
if you aren't an experienced user. This means, the "normal"
working directory will always be the unpacked source
tarball directory (e.g. glibc-2.5). The commands in the book
always assume you have unpacked the tarball and changed dir
to that directory created by unpacking, then executing all commands
as written in the book. This reveals the following structure for
the glibc installation:

+ maindir
|   - tarballs and stuff
|   + glibc-2.5.1