I really need help kernel panic

Philipp Christian Loewner bOrgph at web.de
Fri Aug 8 11:45:00 PDT 2008

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 20:05:08 +0200, Daniel Corda <cordad at rpi.edu> wrote:

> OK guys I am done but I have on big problem which I really need help on.
> My kernel panics on startup sayin
>
> [     13.472000] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5 or unknown-block(0,0)
> [     13.472000] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are
> the available partitions:
> [     13.472000] 0300     4194302 hda driver : ide-cdrom
> [     13.472000] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
> on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I do not know what to do I have looked at some similar errors but cannot
> really isolate  a problem.

Hi,

To me, as I don't know what you've already tried, this looks
like you have missing kernel options that should be enabled.
But of course, it could also be something that I'm not
aware of. Make sure you have Unix domain socket support enabled
as well as read and write support for the EXT3 file system.
There will also be more features to enable depending on your
hardware configuration - SCSI will of course be vital.

So, my tip is to just reconfigure the kernel and to be more
aware about what options you disable - this always helped when
I had similar problems.

	- Philipp