Dual Core

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:15:49 PDT 2008

Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> I just bought a DualCore, and a friend of mine told me I should build a
> 64bits system. Is there any point in this ?

You won't be able to use some packages without multilib (which is, essentially,
building two systems, 64-bit and 32-bit, instead of one).

Some of the affected packages are due to the fact that they use 32-bit Windows
DLLs. The examples are are wine (obviously), mplayer (partially, but, for
example, you won't be able to play any 5.1 wma files from
http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html; this music is used only as an example
of what won't play). Given that the version of ffmpeg in the BLFS book is
ancient, the situation is even worse: no WMV3 (aka VC-1) support, and crashes on
interlaced H.264 video (readily triggered by digital TV broadcasts in
Yekaterinburg, Russia).

The other class of affected packages are those where the programmer made
assumptions not valid for 64-bit systems. This kind of problems usually
manifests itself at runtime as segfaults. Until recently, this applied to
OpenOffice.org.

Until the BLFS team goes through all the packages and places appropriate
warnings, it is not recommended to avoid x86-64 on a desktop computers with less
than 4 GB of memory.

> I noticed while installing a
> base Debian (to start building LFS ;-) that the chosen kernel was the
> AMD64 flavor. Is this normal ? And what options should I enable in the
> kernel that are specific to this processor?

This won't work for LFS as a host at all, unless you figure out how to use the
"linux32" command (and even then, I am not sure that there will be support). And
for the options, please build the 32-bit kernel, you already know how to do it
for Pentium4-class machines, it will "just work" with 32-bit userspace.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov