grub hangs without error message on mac mini

andreas at mrs.ch andreas at mrs.ch
Mon Apr 28 21:44:56 PDT 2008

On Monday, 28. April 2008, 22:21, Jeremy Huntwork (as JH) wrote:

>JH: Careful what 'facts' you spread around here. With the switch to
>JH: Intel machines, Apple also changed their firmware and boot manager.
>JH: If your mac is intel it uses EFI, not Open Firmware. Yaboot is not
>JH: the answer.

I have an older Mac mini with a G4 processor. This boots with yaboot.
But as you mention, the new Intel should boot with grub.

>JH: Also note that he already tested grub on the machine using ubuntu
>JH: and claims that it does work with their version.

I saw it with my own eyes :-)

>JH: Andreas, you may want to try to track down what differences there
>JH: are between Ubuntu's grub and what LFS installs. Or, you could
>JH: consider using Lilo instead. :) I use Lilo on my Intel macs (mostly
>JH: because I build a 64-bit system) and it works great.

If I don't find an answer within reasonable time, I'll try it. As far as
I remember from earlier times, Lilo has to be reinstalled after each
Kernel update, is this still the case?

>JH: Also, if you ever feel like dual (or triple booting) your mac with
>JH: OS X check out http://refit.sourceforge.net. It's a really useful
>JH: tool.

I already tried rEFIt, just to make sure, but I couldn't use it, even
though I can't remember the reason anymore. And no, I don't need dual
boot.

Thanks, I'll try Lilo if everything else fails.

Andreas