xinetd popper problem 0.0.0.0 already in use

Mark Olbert molbert at iterobiopharm.com
Sat Apr 26 13:57:07 PDT 2008

Sigh. I like linux, but it sure is a pain in the ass to get working
sometimes.

I have the qpopper popper program running under xinetd. When I try to access
it from across my subnet via telnet I get rejected on the client side and a
message prints out on the lfs system console to the effect that 0.0.0.0:110
is already in use.

I don't understand how this can be happening, since nothing should be
listening on that port.

I also don't understand why the address is resolving to 0.0.0.0. That's
neither the address of the client nor the address of the lfs server running
xinetd.

I've tried playing around with /etc/hosts, no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions/hints? I am really stuck on this, and I
can't bring my new lfs system online until I can solve it, since one of its
roles is as a mailserver.

- Mark

database 3057 (20080426) __________

http://www.eset.com