how to change from dhcp to static ip in a lfs box

Test testuser at networkblackbox.com
Tue Apr 22 10:36:50 PDT 2008

  Hi All,

I got some questions about static IP and DHCP and maybe someone can give
me hand. I already setup a /*dhcpd */client in my lfs box and its
working well, but my problem appears when I try to set static IP after
being using DHCP:

1) For setting the static IP address in my lfs box, I modified the file
/*/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4 */and included there
all the necessary variables for setting up static IP but that only takes
effect if you reboot the system, so in order to change the IP without
rebooting, what do I  need to do?

Below is a copy of my ipv4 file:
ONBOOT=yes
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=192.168.0.100
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
PREFIX=24
BROADCAST=192.168.255.255

2) If after I decide to setup STATIC IP, I would need to go back to
DHCP, what are the commands to release the actual static IP address and
get a new one from the DHCP server? (I tried /*dhcpd eth0 up */but it
does not release the static IP and get a new DHCP  IP automatically,
looks like I first need to release the static IP and then call the
/*dhcpcd*/  to get a new IP)

Thanks!

V.