Errors making procps

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 18 12:49:18 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 02:29:07PM -0400, segfault4096 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've made it up to Section 6.21, which builds procps.  When I run make
> I encounter the following:
>
> root:/procps-3.2.7# make
> D_GNU_SOURCE -I proc -I/usr/include/ncurses -MM -MG proc/alloc.c
> proc/devname.c proc/escape.c proc/ksym.c proc/pwcache.c
> proc/readproc.c proc/sig.c proc/slab.c proc/sysinfo.c proc/version.c
> proc/whattime.c > proc/.depend
> /bin/sh: D_GNU_SOURCE: command not found
> make: [proc/.depend] Error 127 (ignored)
[...]
> I was reading someone's account of a similar problem with procps, and
> the recommendation was to reinstall ncurses.  I have tried this, and I
> encounter the same errors.  I should note, this is an
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu system.
>
> I was reading someone's account of a similar problem with procps, and
> the recommendation was to reinstall ncurses.  I have tried this, and I
> encounter the same errors.  I should note, this is an
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu system.
>

> I was reading someone's account of a similar problem with procps, and
> the recommendation was to reinstall ncurses.  I have tried this, and I
> encounter the same errors.  I should note, this is an
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu system.

 Procps can be an unholy mess sometimes.  In this case, it looks as
if something decided that -DGNU_SOURCE needed to be passed to make,
but omitted the '-'.  In fact, I've just run a compile on my _old_
clfs pure64 system, and my output shows you are missing 'cc -'
there:

ken at bluesbreaker ~ $cd procps-3.2.7/
ken at bluesbreaker ~/procps-3.2.7 $make
cc -D_GNU_SOURCE -I proc -I/usr/include/ncurses -MM -MG proc/alloc.c
proc/devname.c proc/escape.c proc/ksym.c proc/pwcache.c
proc/readproc.c proc/sig.c proc/slab.c proc/sysinfo.c proc/version.c
proc/whattime.c > proc/.depend
cc -D_GNU_SOURCE -I proc -I/usr/include/ncurses -fno-common
-ffast-math -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wredundant-decls
-Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -O2 -s -m64
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wpadded -Wstrict-aliasing -fweb
-frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-inline-functions -c -o
uptime.o uptime.c
 and so forth.

 On clfs, the command to build procps is
'make CC=gcc'
please try that, I'm not sure if it will help.

 Thanks for noting that you were on x86_64 - the book technically
doesn't support that at the moment.

ĸen