Glibc make install error: Section 6.9

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 17 06:33:25 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:42:05PM -0400, Tlayeh wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been building LFS on an AMD Sempron box using the x86_64 livecd
> up to Chapter 6.9.  I get the following error when running make
> install from the glibc-build directory:
>
> CC="gcc" /usr/bin/perl scripts/test-installation.pl /glibc-build/
> /tools/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lcidn
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> Execution of gcc failed!
> The script has found some problems with your installation!
> Please read the FAQ and the README file and check the following:
> - Did you change the gcc specs file (necessary after upgrading from
>   Linux libc5)?
> - Are there any symbolic links of the form libXXX.so to old libraries?
>   Links like libm.so -> libm.so.5 (where libm.so.5 is an old library) are wrong,
>   libm.so should point to the newly installed glibc file - and there should be
>   only one such link (check e.g. /lib and /usr/lib)
> You should restart this script from your build directory after you've
> fixed all problems!
> Btw. the script doesn't work if you're installing GNU libc not as your
> primary library!
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/glibc-2.5.1'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> Any idea how or why I am encountering this error?  I've encountered
> errors previously and managed to sort them out, but this one eludes
> me; I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Nick
 I'm always reluctant to comment on the x86_64 versions of the Live
CD because I don't know what the included book actually says.
However, in this case I think I've seen similar problems in my own
builds (CLFS with UTF-8 - it's libidn which provokes it).

 There should be a sed to alter test-installation.pl (after
renaming the libidn directory, before creating ../glibc-build) -
the following version works for me on pure64 (it's a rather long
line):

sed -i \
's|libs -o|libs -L/usr/lib -Wl,-dynamic-linker=/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 -o|' \
  scripts/test-installation.pl

 I'm fairly sure the Live CD's book must have some version of this -
maybe you missed it, or perhaps you've acquired an inappropriate
version from somewhere (either -L/usr/lib64 or /lib/ld-linux.so.2).
The /usr/lib64 version can probably be made to work with a symlink,
if that's what that book is using.

HTH

ĸen