Glibc make install error: Section 6.9

Tlayeh tlayeh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:42:05 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I have been building LFS on an AMD Sempron box using the x86_64 livecd
up to Chapter 6.9.  I get the following error when running make
install from the glibc-build directory:

CC="gcc" /usr/bin/perl scripts/test-installation.pl /glibc-build/
/tools/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
cannot find -lcidn
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Execution of gcc failed!
The script has found some problems with your installation!
Please read the FAQ and the README file and check the following:
- Did you change the gcc specs file (necessary after upgrading from
  Linux libc5)?
- Are there any symbolic links of the form libXXX.so to old libraries?
  Links like libm.so -> libm.so.5 (where libm.so.5 is an old library) are wrong,
  libm.so should point to the newly installed glibc file - and there should be
  only one such link (check e.g. /lib and /usr/lib)
You should restart this script from your build directory after you've
fixed all problems!
Btw. the script doesn't work if you're installing GNU libc not as your
primary library!
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/glibc-2.5.1'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Any idea how or why I am encountering this error?  I've encountered
errors previously and managed to sort them out, but this one eludes
me; I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.

Thanks for your help.

Nick