VMWare Network Interface driver needed.

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Wed Apr 2 10:20:15 PDT 2008

Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:03 AM
To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: VMWare Network Interface driver needed.

I've moved my [working] LFS 6.3 from real SATA to VMWARE (Server 1.0.4)SCSI.
I added the BusLogic SCSI support in the kernel and it boots fine.

However, it can't find eth0.

lspci says: "Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970
[PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10)".

I've enabled all AMD<anything> I can find in the kernel, and no joy. Anyone
know how to see the VMWare virtualized NIC?

The LFS-Live CD sees it fine.

Dan Barker

Enabling them in the kernel should have done it. Try installing the support
tools as they contain source for kernel modules for the PCNET and VLANCE
cards.

Loren Foret

Lovely word, "should".
PCNET is enabled.
LANC does not appear in my .config, on or off, except inside of BALANCE.
I'm not sure what you mean by "support tools". net-tools, libtool and
module-iinit-tools are all installed (I was deep into X in blfs before I had
to move the machine).

Is there a package I need to install to make VLANCE be there? What? Whatever
it is, the Live CD doesn't need it. My old Slackware 2.4 doesn't need it.

dmesg | grep eth shows "eth0: registered as Pcnet/PCI II 79C970A" which is
encouraging, but the network won't activate ("eth0 not found").