Not able to use i810 (Xorg 6.9)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 08:37:07 PDT 2007

This is really the wrong list for Xorg related questions. You may want
to try the blfs-support list for a better audience. Anyway...

On 9/30/07, M. Shuaib Khan <aries.shuaib at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an Intel 945GM graphics controller. Here is the output of lspci
> | grep -i graphics
>
> ----
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> ----
>
> I just enabled Direct Rendering and i810 in my kernel configuration,
> and am using Xorg 6.9. The problem is, when I use xorgcfg to creat a
> xorg.conf file, it configures it to use vesa, which works, but doesn't
> support the native resolution of my graphics controller (1280x800). I
> need to have i810. I used xorgconfig to create a xorg.conf using i810
> as the driver, but when I load X using "startx", it gives and error
> saysing something like, I810: No Device Section found for instance
> (BusID PCI:0:2:1), No Screens found.

The Xorg drivers maintain an internal PCI database of cards that they
support. One of the problems with using an old Xorg release like 6.9
is that many newer cards aren't supported simply because the driver
doesn't know about them. You may want to try building a more recent
Xorg release, like the one in the BLFS development book.

--
Dan