Not able to use i810 (Xorg 6.9)

rblythe rblythe714 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 06:11:05 PDT 2007

M. Shuaib Khan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Intel 945GM graphics controller. Here is the output of lspci
> | grep -i graphics
>
> ----
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML
> Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> ----
>
> I just enabled Direct Rendering and i810 in my kernel configuration,
> and am using Xorg 6.9. The problem is, when I use xorgcfg to creat a
> xorg.conf file, it configures it to use vesa, which works, but doesn't
> support the native resolution of my graphics controller (1280x800). I
> need to have i810. I used xorgconfig to create a xorg.conf using i810
> as the driver, but when I load X using "startx", it gives and error
> saysing something like, I810: No Device Section found for instance
> (BusID PCI:0:2:1), No Screens found.
>
> Below is my xorg.conf
> <snip>
>     Driver     "vga"
> <snip>
>     BusID      "PCI:0:2:1"
>
> #    VideoRam	256
>
> #    Clocks	25.2 28.3
>
> EndSection
>
> # Device configured by xorgconfig:
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Intel Express"
>     Driver      "i810"
>     #VideoRam    8192
>     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection
> <snip>
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong?
>
> Thank you.

I don't have the same type of card as you, but here is some specifics
from my original xorg.conf - before I installed the nVidia driver:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

I am only pointing out this part because this is where our
Monitor/Driver section specifically differ

After I installed the nVidia driver, this section looks like this:
Section "Device"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

The only thing that really changed was the Driver, VendorName, and
BoardName.

I am wondering if your xorg.conf is somehow getting confused with two
(2) Drivers (vga, i810) being identified without corresponding BusID for
each .  You BusID only appears to be in the section where the vga driver is.

I am no expert with xorg.conf or xorgcfg, but I did all of this by hand
and it is working without issue.

Try setting one or the other Driver and place everything together
instead of in separate sections.

rblythe