Fwd: Recompiling LFS in between chap. 5 and 6

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Sep 24 07:09:28 PDT 2007

armencho at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have followed thru with LFS 6.3 thru chapter 5 and now at chapter 6.
> I boot from LFS Live CD, and have downloaded all package tarballs t
> to the $LFS/sources directory.
>
> What the book apparently doesnt specify at all, is whether one has to
> re-unpack the tarballs (read: re-create sources) when done with
> chapter 5 compilations before startin compiling packages from chapter
> 6?
>
> It is important because the packages in chapter 5 that are recompiled
> in chapter 6 (Glibc, GCC, etc) get patches appplied, not to mention
> that their make scripts make later recompilation not really recompile
> them at all.
>
> For instance at least one package told me "None of the targets needs
> recompiling" or something along the lines of, because all the files
> from chapter 5 phase build are still there, which make finds already.
>
> I dont know if i am making much sense here, its late and i am tired :)

Looks like you missed the part on page 5.1 where it says to remove all
package source and build directories after each package installation.
Since the source and build dirs need to be removed after each build,
clearly you'll have to untar them again when you build the package again
later in the book.