LFS/Busybox and user/group problem !

JBLinux jblinux at orange.fr
Thu Sep 20 01:43:45 PDT 2007

Hi all.
   I'm building a LiveCD based on kernel 2.6.20, busybox 1.6.0 and other tools that I need.
   My first step was to build a basic LiveCD : a bootable CD using Grub, the kernel 2.6 and busybox.

   With busybox 2.6.0 all work great EXCEPT a problem using user/group. The following commands don't work correctly :
    # touch toto
    # chgrp bin toto
    chgrp: unknown group name: bin

   But the grou bin exist in /etc/group :
   # more /etc/group
   root::0:root
   bin::1:
   rpm::2:

   I've look around my config fils in /etc (/etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow and /etc/nsswitch.conf) but all seem ok !
   Content is above :
     # more /etc/group
     root::0:root
     bin::1:
     rpm::2:

     # more /etc/shadow
     root:?????:12439:0:99999:7:::

     # more /etc/passwd
     root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

   I've tried with the recent 1.7.1 busybox and it seem to work (the chgrp work correctly).

   I've the RPM tool in my binaries (I don't use the busybox rpm version coz I need all option of RPM) and here, for a package that need group bin, RPM say me that group bin doesn't exist !!!!!!!!!!!!!
   Damned !

   # rpm -Uvh --nodeps expat-2.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   warning: group bin doesn't exist  - using root

   Anybody have an idea where I can look ?
   I'm unable to find a way to solve this !
   For a complementary information, after my boot process, I'm directly conected in root account. A problem of initab that can imply the rest ?

Thx for your help !
JB