PCMCIA/udev help

David Murphy glibdud at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 16:55:31 PDT 2007

Hi folks. This may be something silly... I've never dealt with PCMCIA cards
on a low level before. I just installed LFS 6.3 on an old laptop (Dell
Latitude CPi D300XT). My network interface is a Xircom Ethernet 10/100 and
56k modem combo PCMCIA card. It worked fine with the LFS LiveCD, but when I
booted into the new LFS system, I get an "eth0 doesn't exist" message on
bootup.

I've double-checked that all the PCMCIA and Xircom items are set in the
kernel (it's all compiled in; no modules). Looking at dmesg, the bridge
appears to be detected fine. In addition, when I remove/insert the card, I
get a message like "pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0". So it looks
like I'm almost there. What am I missing?

The PCMCIA howto
(http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html) suggests that
I may need to set a "resource database", but doesn't really say how to go
about doing that.

If it's more likely on the udev side,
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules says:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:10:a4:02:f5:6b",
NAME="eth0"

Pretty sure that's the right MAC address. I can provide more info from
running under the LiveCD... I just don't know what info would be useful.

Any help appreciated.

David Murphy
glibdud at yahoo.com