LFS and apt

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Sep 7 05:29:26 PDT 2007

Peter Haack wrote:
> Hi, there!
> First of all, I want you to excuse my bad english. ;)
> And second, I have a question:
> I installed apt and dpkg on LFS (ALFS).
>
> Versions:
> apt:0.7.6
> dpgk:1.14.5
> Kernel:linux-2.6.16.38
>
> I installed by reading the followed:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/apt.txt
>
> Thats quite old, but I found no other.
>
> It runs, but when I try to install packages, i get the following messages:
>
> (with apt)
>
> "package architecture (i386) does not match system"
>
> My architecture is i686. I thought i386 is compatible to i686?

No it isn't. For dpkg to see the architecture as compatible, it must
match exactly. And by "architecture", I mean the output of "dpkg
--print-architecture". Here on a Debian box it prints "i386".

That said, I explicitly discourage the use of apt in LFS. Essentially,
this may be useful only if you maintain a number of LFS boxes from a
central repository of deb files created by you - and there is no hint
how to do this. And that repository must have all LFS packages packages
as debs by you, too. Installing even a single package from a Debian
repository with apt means that apt will install glibc from Debian, thus
turning your LFS installation into Debian. IOW: using apt in LFS at
least once means that your support requests become off-topic on this list.

Dear support: please take the above into account.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov